Sodium hydroxide has many uses in cosmetics, the most common being for it's use in the production of handmade soap where sodium hydroxide is used in the saponification of oils. Sodium hydroxide is also used as a technical ingredient, to adjust pH and to neutralise ingredients, a key example would be for the neutralisation of Carbomer.
Sodium hydroxide is also known as Caustic Soda or Lye.
Our Sodium hydroxide has been specifically tested for it's compatibility with Cosmetic ingredients and it's use as a Saponifier in the production of handmade Soap. Sodium Hydroxide is added to the oil phase in Soap making, and creates a chemical reaction known as saponification which leads to a hard soap.
If you are looking to use Carbomer as an ingredient, then Sodium hydroxide is a must to neutralise Carbomer. This turns Carbomer from a liquid to a gel.
When you use Sodium Hydroxide inside a product such as for saponification of cold process soap and the neutralisation of Carbomer, the harmful effects of Sodium hydroxide are no longer present as the Sodium hydroxide is no longer present in the final formulation. The chemical reaction which happens between Sodium hydroxide and the other natural substance creates a new compound i.e adding Olive Oil and Sodium Hydroxide together creates Sodium Oliveate.
Perfect for cosmetic use and for soap making, 99% Pure
Supplied as Sodium hydroxide Pearls for easy use
When you are using Sodium hydroxide (Caustic Soda / Lye) for cold process soap making it is important to always add the Sodium hydroxides to the water and never the water to the sodium hydroxide. We always recommend that you use De-ionised water which is available from Naturallythinking.
1) Use Sodium Hydroxide when you will not be interrupted, so that your 100% concentration is focused on the use of the Sodium hydroxide.
2) Keep Children, Pets and Infirm away from the area at all times.
3) Have a source of water close by so that you can quickly and easily rinse any pills.
4) Always mix in a well ventilated area and mix as close to the point of use as possible to avoid spills.
5) Wear goggle and gloves. Wear gloves that travel sufficiently up your arm to avoid the Sodium hydroxide from being trapped inside the glove and causing skin burns.
Googles are very important, Sodium hydroxide CAN CAUSE BLINDNESS if it gets into your eyes. Any spill on your skin and eyes should be flushed with water for 30 minutes. Large spills on both skin and eye should seek immediate medical attention after flushing with water.
6) DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. Internal consumption of Sodium hydroxide CAN BE FATAL. Keep in a secure, locked location. Keep away from Children and PETS.
You can view the full ingredients by Clicking Here
Sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) The SDS can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) The TDS can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Generate the certificate of analysis for your purchased product by entering your Batch Number which can be found on the packaging of your product.
Generate an allergens declaration for your purchase (essential oils only)